The Holy Trinity of Monitoring: Logs, Metrics, and Traces
"With microservices every outage is like a murder mystery" is a common complaint. But it doesn't have to be!
This talk gives an overview on how to monitor Spring Boot applications, since they are increasingly popular for building microservices. We dive into:
- System metrics: Keep track of network traffic and system load.
- Application logs: Collect structured logs in a central location.
- Uptime monitoring: Ping services and actively monitor their availability and response time.
- Application metrics: Get the information from Boot's metrics and health via REST.
- Request tracing: Use Sleuth to trace requests through a distributed system and Zipkin to show how long each call takes.
And we will do all of that live, since it is so easy and much more interactive that way.
Saturday, 2017-10-07 @ 12:15
> Skill level: advanced
> Duration: 45 min
Philipp is a Developer Advocate at Elastic, spreading the love and knowledge of full-text search, analytics, and real-time data. He is a frequent speaker at conferences and meetups about all things search & analytics, databases, cloud computing, and devops. Philipp lives in Vienna where he enjoys experimenting with software, organizing meetups, and sports.